Solution ID: 919
Can’t synchronize through USB-to-serial adapter
If you cannot perform a HotSync® operation after plugging the
USB into the serial port adapter, the serial port settings need to be
To adjust the serial port settings, do the following:
1. Check the USB to serial port adapter connections.
2. Launch HotSync Manager.
3. Open HotSync Manager and click Enable/Disable.
4. Open the Instant Palm Desktop and select HotSync Manager.
5. Select Setup and click Disable/Enable.
6. Under Local Setup, select PalmConnect® USB from the Port list.
7. Click the HotSync Controls tab and select Enabled.
8. Perform a HotSync operation.
9. If an error message appears when you remove the USB to serial port
adapter and reboot your Macintosh, simply click OK in the message box.
To prevent this error from appearing during reboot, launch
HotSync® Manager, choose Setup, disable HotSync Manager, and then
disconnect the USB to serial port cable. Future versions of HotSync
Manager eliminate this error message.
When in the HotSync Manager, avoid making changes in the “HotSync
Software Setup” dialog box while the USB adapter is unplugged. If you
have trouble performing a HotSync operation after unplugging and
replugging your USB adapter, plug the adapter in and restart your
computer. Then launch HotSync® Manager and re-select the correct
USB port from the Local Setup section of the “HotSync Software Setup”
Palm, Inc. plans to correct this problem in a future revision.
Apple System Profiler reports two PalmConnect devices for each USB
adapter connected at startup. This does not affect functionality. Palm,
Inc. is working with Apple to correct this problem.